The CAM Innovation Lab
With a vision to stay ahead of the curve CAM launched its Innovation Lab in May 2017. We have a dedicated innovation team which is headed by Komal Gupta who is a seasoned professional with over sixteen years of experience in the field of legal operations management, business development and regulatory compliance; and brings with her a proficiency in use of technology and process. The team consists of 6 qualified, experienced and tech savvy lawyers, who continuously strive to identify areas where innovation could take place using a combination of people, processes and technology. The team also explores new and upcoming tools and their usability for the firm. CAM is at the forefront of innovation in the legal sector. Our Innovation Lab reflects our determination to embrace the opportunities of technology combined with people and processes to improve the services we offer to our clients, as well as to support the spirit of innovation in the legal sector as a whole.
Our current areas of focus include:
- Driving the culture of Innovation
- Technology driven Legal Services Delivery
Driving the culture of Innovation
Prarambh – CAM’s legaltech incubator
Being an innovator and leader is a part of the firm’s DNA. This innovative mindset has led to the setting up of India’s first ever legaltech incubator at a law firm. Through Prarambh, CAM aims to augment the spirit of entrepreneurship and innovation, identify domestic talent and support upcoming technologies in the business and practice of law. Housed at CAM’s Delhi office, Prarambh is a custom design workspace which provides an invigorating environment to these startups during the mentorship program, which will lead these ideas towards fruition and success.
Purpose of Prarambh
- Supporting innovation in the field of legal technology
- Enabling startups with a co-sharing workspace and IT infrastructure
- Ensuring the right subject matter expertise is provided to the developer
- Mentoring the startups throughout the lifecycle and guiding them to commercial success
- Nurturing and encouraging domestic talent to be a world leader in legal technology design and development
Prarambh Cohort I was launched in 2019. We received 51 applications from various legaltech startups across the country. These applications were thoroughly evaluated by a distinguished jury on 12 pre – defined parameters, after which three startups were selected. We worked closely with the 3 selected startups and helped them develop their offerings. In our constant commitment to disrupt the ‘status quo’ and offer innovative solutions to meet the challenges of the ‘digital’ Indian legal eco-system, we identified startups seeking to address the following concerns faced by our peers/clients, viz:
- offering ease of stamping and execution of documents in a ‘digital world’;
- improving legal research with highly responsive suggestions and answers and using artificial intelligence to sift through a high volume of historical data. Litigation Analytics helps lawyers to develop a litigation strategy based on how a judge might rule on a particular issue and how long such a ruling might take; and
- providing a steady source of legal talent to clients and peers through an organised ‘talent pool’ from law schools pan India.
The winning startups, JRTC Intern, Leegality and LegalMind, were mentored by CAM Partners, leading industry leaders and the Innovation team during the course of the six month period.
Click here to apply and be a part of Prarambh Cohort II
Click here for some FAQs about Prarambh.
Click here to visit the Alumni Page for Prarambh Cohorts.
Here’s what our Managing Partner Mr. Cyril Shroff has to say about Innovation in Legal Sector in India and our Legaltech Incubator – Prarambh
Vichaar – CAM’s Ideation Week
Vichaar is an annual initiative to empower every member of the firm to drive innovation. Vichaar encourages curiosity, the spirit of problem solving and encourages everyone to have an innovation mindset. Vichaar is organised every year in the form of an ‘ideation week’ where ideas are invited over a period of one week. These ideas are related to people, process, technology, culture and new practice areas. The winning ideas are implemented by the ideator, the innovation team and other relevant stakeholders.
Vichaar 1.0: The first innovation week was organised in December 2018. We received 160 ideas. The following winning ideas have been implemented successfully.
- Directory of Professionals: This idea was about spreading our professional lawyer network across the country, in smaller jurisdictions. Often, for corporate, real estate or litigation matters, lawyers in the firm are frantically searching for local lawyers outside the cities where we have offices. This idea involved creating a duly curated database and directory which is available on our intranet for local counsel / service providers (e.g. search clerks) across the country along with name, contact detail, area of expertise, feedback mechanisms, etc. The lawyers can now add contacts or search for contacts easily from the Directory of Professionals.
- CAMShare: CAMShare is an initiative to help coordination amongst co-workers to explore an environmentally smarter, financially conscious, and possibly a less stressful daily shared travel option in each city. The solution is a simple form on the intranet which allows the associate to raise hand for either wanting to share a ride or offering a ride to a colleague along with travel details.
- FitCAM: An initiative which aims at improving the physical & mental health of the associates. The execution of this idea was divided into two parts –
- Working closely with a fitness organization and conducting different fitness sessions each month along with a fun filled “Annual Wellness Week” at the end of the year
- Working closely with other health related organizations and corporate hospitals for regular and affordable services
- OneCAM & MP Connect: This idea was about taking our intranet to the mobile under a new tech enabled innovation, branded as “OneCAM”. This included the ability to fill timesheets and access various other firm related information including HR details, L&D, Knowledge database using filters that allows users to only see information that they are interested in – all on their mobile devices.
MP Connect is a feature on OneCAM for informal communication from the Managing Partner with the entire firm.
Vichaar 2.0: This innovation week was organized in December 2019 with a slight tweak from the previous Vichaar. We received 52 ideas for solving specific issues identified by the Managing Partner’s office. The following winning ideas are under implementation.
Collaborate – This is a feature being developed on OneCAM, mobile app, to address the problem statement “How should the firm and its various practice areas distribute work allocation amongst associates more equitably so as to improve utilization?” This idea is to create a platform and workflow for improving utilization of available resources and increasing collaboration within teams to address the peaks and troughs in business. The Partner with excess work can make a job posting which another Partner with lower utilization can offer to assist on.
CAM Alumni Group – This idea is a solution to the problem statement “How should the firm conceptualize and build out an alumni network for all lawyers who have passed through firm since 1995?”. The idea was to create an active network of alumni through a CAM alumni page on LinkedIn and Facebook. Alumni can join by request. The aim is to keep the network active with productive activities such as sharing of relevant knowledge material and inviting alumni to contribute to blogposts, Prarambh, virtual internship program and new initiatives at CAM.
Directory of Arbitrators – Often, our lawyers need to appoint or recommend arbitrators to clients or even to other colleagues. The idea was to have an internal directory of arbitrators in one central place which will work as a quick source of reference for CAM lawyers. This idea involves building a duly curated database on an ongoing basis, with a contribution from all lawyers. This Directory is active and running on the intranet.
Vichaar 3.0 – Coming soon in December!
Technology driven Legal Services Delivery
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas is the first Indian law firm to adopt artificial intelligence (AI) in its day-to-day practice. The firm’s focus on providing technology driven legal service delivery has led us to use various AI and machine learning tools for due diligence, contract review and abstraction, litigation strategy, eDiscovery and legal research. These tools leverage the firms existing practices and add value for our clients and practice groups. The use of AI at the firm is not limited to one practice area or technology. Our focus is on identifying challenges and exploring relevant solutions to increase efficiencies across the business.
eDiscovery technology and processes are used to analyze high volume of documents or eloctronically stored information in a short span of time. We can work with a range of eDiscovery platforms depending on the case. Our eDiscovery services include end-to-end case and evidence management, processing and high-speed analysis of large data sets, using Technology Assisted Review or Predictive Coding. Combining the expertise of the Innovation team with that of our traditional practitioners/practice groups, we offer these services to the following practice areas
- White Collar Crime Investigations
- Government requests and Investigations
- Class action litigations and Discovery Requests
- Regulatory Inquiries
- Evidence management (chronology of events / witness statements / court book / book of evidence)
Legal & Commercial Research
CAM has a robust dispute resolution practice. To further enhance this practice, we have adopted an AI based litigation strategy tool and various legal research technologies. These technologies allow our lawyers to perform intelligent judgement searches, suggest potential alternative arguments and compile a list of highly relevant case law.
Some of the benefits are:
- Ability to quickly and granularly map case laws and their relevance
- Centralized management of case-related tasks and reminders
- Improved efficiencies by providing more sophisticated and accurate search results which are not merely based on keywords
- Reduction in hours spent on understanding the relevance of a case law to the matter
- Early identification of possible counter arguments, informing case strategy from the initial stages
Automated Proofreading and Editing
A significant part of a lawyer’s day is spent on proofreading and editing drafts and documents. CAM is committed to providing quality documents with the highest level of accuracy. The use of proofreading tools help us by:
- Removing inconsistencies in usages and styles across a document
- Reducing time spent on manually searching for errors
- Increasing efficiencies and accuracy
Contract & Due Diligence Review
Using an AI based contract review software we now have capacity to
- Complete M&A due diligence contract review faster and more accurately
- Provide more extensive and comprehensive contract analysis
- Advise on contract risk management and compliance
- Track deal points from prior deals
- Improve knowledge management with contract clause search
- Prepare for and respond rapidly to risk management and compliance requirements