He advises leading corporate and financial institutions on infrastructure projects, structured lending, debt restructuring, creation of stressed asset platforms and recovery of loans and investments.
He has been involved in several landmark transactions and cases, including restructuring and settlement of Enron’s Dabhol Power Project, Swiss Ribbons v. Union of India in which the constitutionality of the Bankruptcy Code was upheld by the Supreme Court, resolution of Essar Steel, resolution of the ILFS Group, recapitalisation of Yes Bank, acquisition of controlling interest in the Mumbai Airport and significant foreign investments in oil & gas and retail sectors.
Viswanathan has acted on a number of landmark transactions, which include:
- The syndicate of lenders, including the State Bank of India, International Finance Corporation, Asian Development Bank and other national and international financial banks/ agencies in the 4000 MW Mundra Ultra-mega Power Project. (2008)
- Advised clients with respect to several road projects in India, including the KMP Expressways Limited (the largest and the longest road project in India). (2006–2007)
- Advised the creditors on the financing of India’s first cross country pipeline, set up by Reliance Gas Pipeline Private Ltd. (2007)
- Advised the creditors on the financing of the first LNG regassification project in India, set up by Petronet LNG Ltd. (2004)
- Advised the developers with respect to the privatisation and modernisation of Mumbai International Airport. (2006-2019)
- Acted for the creditors in an arbitration against a Haryana State Government agency, in connection with enforcement of creditors rights in termination of a road concession. (2016-2020)