Banking and Finance
“They are impressive in terms of their technical ability and their commercial understanding.”
– Chambers Asia Pacific 2016
We are proud to have India’s premier banking and finance practice group, offering advice on, amongst other areas, financing, banking regulation, debt restructuring, bankruptcy and recovery proceedings, security creation and enforcement, structured credit, securitisation, derivatives, and consumer banking. We are recognised as preferred lenders’ counsel to domestic and international banks and financial institutions, and we act for some of the largest Indian conglomerates on the borrowing side.
Our firm is considered a pioneer in securitisation work in India. Our lawyers have been responsible for devising the legal structures that continue to largely form the base for current market practice.
We have also advised on ground-breaking banking transactions in India, including the first commercial mortgage backed securitisation transactions involving commercial mall and office space.
Our experience includes:
• Securitisation of various types of loans, including mortgages, vehicle finance, corporate and personal loans, hire purchase, and leases.
• Debt restructuring, including restructurings under the joint lender forums, corporate debt restructuring mechanism, court-approved schemes of arrangement, or negotiated settlements.
• Bankruptcy and recovery proceedings and security enforcement, both contentious and non-contentious
• Derivatives products, including advising clients on litigation relating to the enforceability challenges to derivatives products in India.